Tuesday 2 October 2012

Microteaching reflection

My initial thoughts and reactions after microteaching were mainly positive.  Myself and my peers agreed that for the most part I covered all aspects of the lesson plan, though sometimes not thoroughly.  Personally I had troubles with creating a hook and having a good way of summarizing/concluding.  These are important as they are the first and last impressions of your lesson so it is something I will continue to get better at.

Some of the feedback I received on the strengths of the lesson included
"Payed attention and offered feedback to every individual student"
"Simple and focused and did not try to overload on information"

These are two things that I completely agree with.  Having a decent amount of coaching experience I know the importance of giving feedback on an individual level and offering different types of feedback(verbal and visual).  Also, keeping it simple and not overloading students/athletes with too much information is critical in my opinion.  You need time to develop each individual part of the puzzle before putting it together.

Some of the feedback I received on areas of improvement were
"more eye contact"
"demonstrated a bump with a ball"
"more obvious hook and summary"

I always thought I did a good job of making eye contact with everyone but clearly I was wrong!  I will definitely make more of an effort to make eye contact with each individual consistently.

I was supposed to demo the bumping technique with a ball but I completely forgot too! I did it without a ball but forgot to do it with a ball.  Maybe for next time I should take a quick glance at my lesson plan here and there just as a reminder.

And yes I completely agree with a more obvious hook and summary, I had already noted it as one of my weaknesses and I will continue to develop this aspect of my lesson planning.

One thing I noted was the inclusion of extra activities.  To my surprise, the athletes were quite good at executing the proper technique and had successfully done this faster then expected.  I had a couple other progressions to add in to the drill, which I did, but again they were quite good at adapting to the variations to my surprise.  So maybe for next time I should make sure to have a fair amount of variations and other drills I can do if they group is excelling.

Great learning experience overall and the assessments were a valuable tool.

1 comment:

  1. Good reflections and comments! And it is definitely a great idea to have your lesson plan visible and available while you are teaching your lesson. We all need to refer to our plan once in a while -- and you can do it quite subtly, with just a quick glance to keep you on track.

    ReplyDelete